Monday, May 4, 2009

Just say "no!"

I am starting a new phase of my life today!!!! I'm so excited. Are you ready for this? When someone asks me to do something that I really don't want to do . . . I'm going to say NO! I have been so busy lately because I don't want to hurt people's feelings by not doing something. Well, not anymore. If I don't want to teach an extra class or don't want to go to an extra activity, I am going to tell people. If someone calls me up to babysit or go somewhere and I don't want to do it, I'm going to say no. If they don't like it, well, that will be their problem, not mine. I don't mean to sound rude, but I am only one person. Just because I don't have kids, doesn't mean that I'm not a busy person. 

My responsibility first in life is to God. If I feel that my life isn't glorifying God because I have too much going on, then I am going to make some changes. My second responsibility is to my family, not my church. WAIT! What?! Yes, that's what I said. God, first. Family, second. Church, last. I don't have to go to EVERY church function. That's not what is important in life. My personal relationship with God is important, but the activity after church just isn't as important to me. I would rather spend time with just my husband. I hardly get to spend time with him very much because there is always something else that people say we have to do.

So, from now on, I am in charge of MY life. No one else is going to tell me what I "need" to do. If I feel like I can't do something, I am going to say so and people will just have to be okay with that. Boy, are they in for a surprise!! 

1 comment:

Shelly said...

It's not always easy to say no but I'm sure it will really help take away some stress. And you're right. Your family does need to come before your church. I've even found that my commitment to running was getting in the way of taking care of my home like cleaning or cooking. So I've switched to running in the mornings. It has me busier in the mornings now but it frees up my evenings so I can be a housewife first.