Monday, January 12, 2009

New Year's Resolutions?

Okay it's been a little over a week since we posted our last blog. I (Sarah) wanted to take the time today to comment on something that is one of my pet peeves. New Year's Resolutions (NYRs). What?! Yes, I said the three most horrible words in the world! Or, if you're thinking like most people, you're saying, "What in the world! Why are you speaking so poorly about making NYRs?!" Well, let me take the next few paragraphs to tell you. 

First of all, who cares about NYRs?! I don't see the point. If you don't make 'em, you don't feel bad about breaking 'em! Think about that for a minute. How many of you out there have made countless of NYRs and kept up with them for a little while only to break them a few weeks later? I too have been there. I think I came to this realization in my later years of college. Who needs the stress of NYRs? Certainly not a college student and certainly not a newly married young woman. There is too much going on in our lives today to be worried about this. So, I say, read and heed my words of advice.

Secondly, I may not make NYRs but I have started to make it a point to make NDRs (New Day Resolutions). These are a little bit easier to keep up with. When I get up, I think about one thing that I want to accomplish that day. Only one! If you start making a huge list, you're sure to fail just like you would do if you were making any NYR. The key is only have one thing each day that you want to do. If you go to bed that night, and you have accomplished that one item on your list, then your day has been worth it and you will have the best nights sleep EVER! Then you just wake up the next day and do it all over again. If you make the decision daily, you don't have time to forget about it and you're not fretting about your unaccomplished NYRs on December 31st. 

Now lastly, it's important to remember that you don't put in something that should be a normal responsibility as your NDR. For example, going to church, spending daily quiet time with God, going to work, or doing house work, should not be put in as your NDR. These are things that you should be doing every day already. You could say things like, read a chapter of a famous novel, be an encouragement to someone you don't know, do something special for your spouse, or exercise/workout/eat right. Those kinds of things are what I'm talking about as NDRs. 

So, instead of New Year's Resolutions, make the decision, when you first get up tomorrow, that you are going to make your first New Day Resolution of the year! Trust me! You won't regret it and you will feel so much better when you check that off your list when you go to bed tomorrow night...especially if you've made someone else's day.
______________________

Top 10 New Year's Resolutions

1. Spend more time with family and friends.
2. Fit in fitness
3. Tame the bulge (weight gain)
4. Quit smoking
5. Enjoy life more
6. Quit drinking
7. Get out of debt
8. Learn something new
9. Help others
10. Get organized (on just about every NYR top 10 list) 

No comments: