Thursday, February 4, 2010

Cleaning rituals, enthusiasm, and faith . . .

I am in the middle of cleaning our house from top to bottom. We have some friends coming to visit us tomorrow evening and they will be staying with us for a few nights. We are so excited because these are our first overnight house guests that are not family!

So--a part of my cleaning ritual is to listen to music. I don't know, it kind of gets me in the right mood because, come one, who really likes to clean?! I must admit it, there is a sense of satisfaction when it's all over and everything is spotless. But, to really have a cheerful heart about it, I need to listen to Christ-centered music. As I was dusting (one of my other cleaning rituals), a song came on that really got me thinking about our upcoming revival at our church, which then caused me to start thinking about my life and the sin and struggles that I face every day. I must confess, this doesn't happen every single time I clean. Usually I am so focused on the tasks that lay ahead. But God was tugging on my heart today and I am SO GLAD that He did!

You see, sometimes I feel so weak. I am not a perfect person. Whether I am out shopping, at church, or cleaning at home, I am constantly sinning. Can you honestly say that you can't sin for even a second? Even wrong thinking is a sin . . . you know, like when you can be so disgusted at your 4-12 year olds for their lack of enthusiasm in the lesson during Children's Church. Well, how many times have I lacked in my enthusiasm for spiritual things? Christ died for me! Even if I was the only person on earth, He still would have died for me! I can at least be enthusiastic about that! So, what song caused all of this thinking, you ask? My Faith Still Clings . . .

My sin is great, my strength is weak,

My path beset with snares;

But Thou, O Christ, hast died for me,

And Thou wilt hear my prayers.

Refrain

To Thee, to Thee, the Crucified,

The sinner’s only plea,

Relying on Thy promised grace,

My faith still clings to Thee.

The world is dark without Thee, Lord,

I turn me from its strife

To find Thy love a sweet relief;

Thou art the light of life.

Temptations lure and fears assail

My frail, inconstant heart;

But precious are Thy promises,

And they new strength impart.

Unfold Thy precepts to my mind,

And cleanse my blinded eyes;

Grant me to work for Thee on earth,

Then praise Thee in the skies.

No comments: